What is a website?
This is collection of web pages and related content that is identified by a common domain name and published on at least one web server. Website contains specific information which has been provided by an individual or an organization.eg https://kenic.or.ke, https://safaricom.co.ke, https://kplc.co.ke
Anyone or an organisation can have a website; a student, farmer, photographer, Teacher, Doctor, Entrepreneurs, SME’s, NGO’s, Government, Schools, Hospitals etc.
Types of websites
- E-commerce: Allows users to shop and buy products/services online.
- Personal website: This is a website where individuals create content about themselves. Eg https://joel.me.ke
- Blogs: This feature regularly updated articles, photos and videos.
- Portfolio: Allows creative professionals a place for showcasing their best work. Eg filmmakers, furniture builders, designers
- Landing pages: This is specific type of a website created for a marketing campaign that drives visitors to take a specific action.
Advantages of a website for your Business or Profile
- Marketing: Both start up and established business can market their products or services on websites. This helps to reach out a wider audience.
- Easy access to Business information: With a website customers can easily access information about a particular business/ product.
- Securing your brand online: Having a website helps you to protect your business brand online.
- Publicity and Advertising: Its cost effective to advertise online compared to TV or fliers.
- Business credibility: If you have a professional looking and user-friendly website consumers and customers will likely have a greater chance of considering your business credible.
- Competitive Opportunity: Most competitors who have websites use them to their advantage, in order to keep up or surpass having a website is a must.
- Build Customer Base: Consumer/ customer communication via the website can help you build your customer base.
Steps on how to create a website.
- Identify the type of website you need.
- Choose a good domain name for your website. A domain name is the entry point. Choose a .KE domain. There are various extensions of .KE depending on the website chosen.
https://kenic.or.ke/ke-domain/. While choosing a domain name ensure that;
- It’s short
- It’s easy to spell.
- It’s memorable.
- Use the proper extension.
- It does not conflict with an existing brand. This helps to avoid any form of dispute.
- Purchase secure and reliable hosting. Identify a web developer either a freelance developer or a web development/hosting provider(registrar).